1. Did you know that up to 50% of all pharmaceutical medications can cause weight gain? This includes oral contraceptive pills, anti-depressants, beta-blockers, antibiotics, anti-psychotics, epilepsy & diabetes medications.
Certain probiotic strains have been shown to help with weight control.
2. Hypothyroidism can cause weight gain by slowing down your metabolism. A TSH on blood tests of 2 & over indicates that your thyroid is struggling. Many people still have symptoms of an under active thyroid but are on Thyroid medication because the cause isn’t being addressed.
3. One way menopause affects weight is that estrogen levels directly impact bile production & release from the gallbladder. Bile aids in digestion & fat breakdown. A decrease in estrogen also creates a huge problem processing fructose, leading to insulin resistance, high triglycerides & NAFLD (Non alcoholic fatty liver disease).
4. The optimal pH level of your body should be between 7.3-7.4. Too acidic and your digestive & thyroid enzymes can’t work optimally, you can feel tired, achy, constipated & gain weight.
5. Eating high calorie (sweet or fatty) foods to soothe anxiety, stress or depression can lead to weight gain. Identifying emotional or stressful triggers is important.
6. Cortisol is a stress hormone that when released in a large amount affects how your body metabolizes glucose. Over a long time this can lead to insulin resistance, an increase in appetite & changes to fat burning & storage.
7. Chronic Insomnia can slow down your metabolism. Feeling tired can cause poor food choices, increased appetite & changes in cortisol levels (see point 6).
8. A diet high in fructose, grains and processed foods over time can cause Leptin resistance, Insulin resistance, changes in appetite and weight gain/obesity.
9. Not only can low hydrochloric acid & digestive enzymes cause digestive issues like gas, bloating and diarrhea, it can also cause weight gain, especially around the abdomen.
10. Chronic Inflammation affects hunger regulation, metabolism regulating hormones, can cause systemic fluid retention & can be a factor in developing Insulin Resistance.
Using our state of the art VLA Quadscan device, in-house testing, analyzing blood tests & taking a thorough case history, our Naturopaths can help you with resistant weight loss.